Blue Box 4 - Pictures and words
- A blue box containing six pictures representing three-letter phonic words.
- Six reading cards with the corresponding words to the pictures.
- Table mat.
Example words: bell, hill, cross, gull, egg. Other words to be selected from Morris- Montessori Word List - Blue Level nouns.
This is an individual presentation to be carried out on the table on a table mat. (Note: full work cycle to be observed).
- The Directress places the Blue Box 4 with the lid underneath the box on the right hand corner of the mat.
- She takes out the picture card one at a time.
- As she lay the picture card in a horizontal line (3 cards in a row), she names the picture.
- Directress then takes the word cards, check to see they are not upside down, puts it neatly in a stack.
- She then takes one card, places it in front of the child to read the word on the card and then to place the card under the appropriate picture.
Control Of Error
There are the same numbers of pictures as reading cards - a mismatch may reveal any mistakes.
Points Of Interest
- To practice reading longer phonic words.
- To develop decoding skills.
Have several boxes at this level to provide more opportunities for the child to read. It will also provide the child with sequence of patterns in the Blue Series.