Revision as of 04:00, 15 October 2009 by Rosalia
- Unlimited Golden Beads.
- A complete set of Large Number Cards.
- Trays and pots for carrying beads.
- Operational mat.
- A floor mat.
- Directress can do this exercise with a group of children as a group activity.
- Invites the children to take the Large Number Cards from the shelf and to lay out the cards on the floor mat.
- Meanwhile, the Directress sets up the 'bank' and lay out the operational mat on a separate table.
- The children take turns.
- The Directress picks up some beads, places them on the tray and gives it to the child.
- The child is required to place the beads on the operational mat, counting them as she places them in order.
- The child starts by counting and placing the units first, "1, 2, 3,..., 10".
- When she reaches 10, she exchanges the 10 units with a ten bead bar on top of the 'Ten' column, and proceeds with the rest of the units.
- She needs to count them as she places them on the mat.
- Each time she reaches 10, she must change it with a ten bead bar from the bank.
- When she has finished with the units, she proceeds with the ten bead bars.
- She pulls down the ten bead bar placed on top, counting it, '1 ten, 2 tens,...' As she places the ten bead bars on the mat.
- When she reaches '10 tens', she takes the ten bead bars and changes it to a hundred square from the bank.
- Similarly, she places the hundred square on top at the 'Hundred' column, and proceeds with counting the rest of the ten bead bars.
- Each time she reaches ten tens, she must replace them with a hundred square.
- When she has finished with the ten bead bars, she proceeds in the same manner for the hundred squares, replacing ten hundred squares with a thousand cube.
- When all the beads are placed, the total number is noted and the child is asked to get the cards of the quantity placed.
- The cards are placed beside the beads.
Control Of Error
Points Of Interest
- To teach the child to form a number from an unlimited quantity of beads. Note that the child still only has to be able to count up to 10.