Combining quantity and symbol
Revision as of 04:05, 15 October 2009 by Rosalia
- 9 Golden Beads.
- 9 Ten Bead Bars.
- 9 Hundred Squares.
- Up to 9 Thousand Cubes.
- A complete set of cards.
- Trays and pots to carry units.
- Operational mat.
- Directress can do this exercise with a group of children as a group activity.
- She invites the children to take the large number cards from the shelf and to lay out the cards on the floor mat.
- Meanwhile, Directress prepares the 'bank', and lays out the operational mat on a separate table.
- The children take turns.
- Directress gives the child a tray ans asks the child to pick up a large number cards of the number for e.g. "1 Thousand, 3 Hundred, 2 Tens and four".
- The child will go to the cards, pick up the requested cards and then go to the bank and pick up the required quantity of beads.
- The child brings the tray to the operational mat on the table, place the Golden beads on the operational mat as she counts and checks them.
- The large number cards are placed at the side.
Control Of Error
Points Of Interest
- To give the child practice in associating the quantity with the written symbols using the cards and beads.