Revision as of 20:04, 11 July 2009 by Djv (minor punctuation)
Scissors and pieces of paper.
This can be an individual presentation or a group presentation.
- Directress shows the child how to hold the scissors with the thumb, index and middle finger on the handle of the scissors. Show the child how to open and close the scissors. Open the scissors by opening up the hand, letting the thumb and the index fingers go apart. Close the scissors by closing the hand, bringing the fingers to form a fist.
- Now take a strip of paper in the left hand, place it between the opened scissors and then snip right through the paper by closing the scissors.
- Allow the child to try snipping pieces of paper.
Control Of Error
Points Of Interest
- Show the child how to hold the scissors - hold the cutting blade with two hands and close to the body.
- Tell them the danger of not handling the scissors properly: they could get hurt or they may hurt someone else; the cutting points are very sharp and can hurt easily.
- Do not run while holding the scissors.
- When passing the scissors to somebody else, remember to hold the cutting blades and pointing the other end, i.e. the handle to the person that you are passing the scissors to.
- To teach the child how to use scissors
- To develop the child's fine motor control
- To develop the child's concentration
- To develop the child's independence
- To prepare the child for later project work