Division - With Changing
Revision as of 04:11, 15 October 2009 by Rosalia
- Unlimited Golden Beads.
- Large Number Cards.
- At least 2 sets of Small Number Cards.
- At least 2 trays and unit pots forcarrying.
- An operational mat.
- A floor mat.
- This is a group activity. Invite the children to lay out the Large and Small Number Cards on the floor mat.
- Directress sets up the 'Bank' and the Operational Mat.
- The Directress sets a division question that involves changing but without a remainder, e.g. 3674/2.
- This exercise is carried out in the same manner as Division - Without Changing.
- When the child finds out that the thousands will not divide equally, explain to the children that they can change the one that is left over at the Bank for Hundred Squares.
- Put the Hundred Squares with the hundred squares they already have and continue dividing equally into two.
- Proceed in this manner until all the beads are divided equally.
- When finished, the children are asked to count the number of beads on their tray and to fetch the corresponding Small Number Cards.
- The children will then realize that they have the same amount of beads.
- Directress then explain to the children, "Division is like subtraction, but this time we take away all and divide equally" and the answer is whatever is left on the tray.
Control Of Error
Points Of Interest
- To show the children how to change when doing division.