Nouns - Singular and Plural Box 1
Revision as of 19:20, 13 October 2009 by Rosalia
- Black cards with phonic words. There are both the singular and plural of a number of objects in the box. The words are clip, clips, stamp, stamps, pin, pins, band, bands, pen, pens.
Words to be selected from the Morris - Montessori Word List.
This is an individual presentation (Note: full work cycle to be observed)
- The Directress introduces the Singular and Plural Box to the children by saying "Today we are going to work with Singular and Plural words".
- She opens the lid of the box, place it underneath the box on the mat.
- She then takes out the grey heading card with the word "Singular" reads the card and places it on the mat.
- Then she takes the "Plural" heading card, reads it and places it on the same row as the "Singular" heading card, leaving a large gap in between.
- The Directress takes the stack of 'singular' cards, and lay them down, one by one, under the heading 'Singular' card.
- The Directress reads the first card, 'clip' and then places one of the clips on the right side besides the 'clip' card.
- She does the same for all the singular cards.
- The Directress takes the stack of plural cards and finds the matching plural cards, for e.g. 'clips' and places it under the 'Plural' heading card.
- Then the Directress places the rest of the clips on the right side of the 'clips' card.
- Directress repeats for all the rest of the cards.
- When completed, ask the child to look at the cards and to note the differences, which is an additional letter 's' at the end of the words for the plural cards.
- Explain to the child that Singular means 'one' and Plural means 'more than one'.
Control Of Error
There is a matching plural card for each new word.
The Directress introduces the rule.
Points Of Interest
- Reinforce the meaning of singular and plural.
- Demonstrate basic rules for the formation of plurals.
- Introduce the rule.