Pink box 3 - Objects and words
- A pink box containing six objects representing three-letter phonic words.
- Six reading cards with the corresponding words to the objects.
Example words: cat, jug, hen, box, top and pig. Other words to be selected from the Morris-Montessori Word List Pink Level - Pink Level nouns.
This is an individual presentation to be carried out on the table on a tablemat. (Note: full work cycle to be observed).
- The Directress places the Pink box 3 with the lid underneath the box on the right hand corner of the mat. She takes out the objects one at a time. As she lay the object in a horizontal line (3 objects in a row), she names the object.
- Directress then takes the word cards, checks to see they are not upside down, puts it neatly in a stack. She then takes one card, places it in front of the child and invites the child to sound out the letters. Encourage the child to sound the letters a bit quicker, blending them. (Directress assists the child by blending the first card) Ask the child 'What does it sound like?'. The child will respond and then invite the child to place the word card below the respective object. repeat for all the word cards, assisting a child when needed.
Control Of Error
There are the same numbers of objects as word cards - a mismatch may reveal any mistakes.
Points Of Interest
It is advisable to have several boxes at this level to provide more opportunities for the child to read.
- Introduce the first reading cards.
- Provide practice in sounding and blending sounds to read words.