Pink box 4 - Pictures and Words
- A pink bos containing six pictures representing three-letter phonic words.
- Six reading cards with the corresponding words to the pictures.
Words to be selected from the Morris-Montessori Word List Pink Level - Pink Level nouns.
This is an individual presentation to be carried out on the table on a tablemat. (Note: full work cycle to be observed)
- The Directress places the Pink box 4 with the lid underneath the box on the right hand corner of the mat. She takes out the picture card one at a time. As she lay the picture card in a horizontal line (3 cards in a row), she names the picture.
- Directress then takes the word cards, checks to see they are not upside down, puts it neatly in a stack. She then takes one card, places it in front of the child, and invites the child to sound out the letters. Encourage the child to sound the letters a bit quicker, blending them. Ask the child 'What does it sound like?'. The child will respond and then invite the child to place the word card below the reapective picture. Repeat for all the word cards, assisting the child when needed.
Control Of Error
There are the same numbers of pictures as reading cards - a mismatch may reveal any mistakes.
Points Of Interest
It is advisable to have several boxes at this level to provide more opportunities for the child to read.
- Practice reading three-letter phonic words.
- Enrich reading vocabulary.