Subtraction with Short Bead Stair
- One Short Bead Stair.
- Sets of Subtraction Cards.
- Directress invites the child to build a triangle with the Short Bead Stair.
- Directress gives the child a work card and assists her to work through the questions on the work cards, for e.g. 9 - 5.
- The child takes a 9 Short Bead Stair.
- Cove 5 Bead at the right end of the bar, leaving 5 uncovered.
- These uncovered bead are then counted.
- Directress then shows the child how to record the answer on the answer square.
Control Of Error
- The Red Boxes control the place the child puts the answer.
- The Short Bead Stair controls the minuend. (The amount to start with)
Points Of Interest
- Supplement the subtraction activity introduced with the Number Rods and to give the child further practice.