Blue Picture cards
- Blue card with six to eight pictures in two rows of three or four pictures.
- Separate reading cards to match the pictures.
Example words: strap, splint, crisp, clam, blot, stump, flex, pond or sack, lock, block, sock, clock, smock, duck, black, ... etc.
Other words to be selected from the Morris - Montessori Blue Level nouns.
This is an individual presentation to be carried out on the table (Note: full work cycle to be observed).
- The Directress takes the word cards kept in an envelope behind the card, checks to see they are not upside down and puts it neatly in a stack.
- The Directress places the picture card in front of the child and goes through each picture, naming it.
- The Directress then takes one card from the stack, places it in front of the child to read the card and to place the word card below the respective picture.
- Repeat for all the word cards, assisting the child when needed.
Control Of Error
The reading cards correspond to the pictures. A mismatch may reveal any mistakes.
Points Of Interest
- Practice reading longer phonic words.
- Introduce additional consonant blends, double consonants and two syllable words.
Have several boxes at this level to provide a variety of reading exercises. Longer words poise no difficulty. A picture card could include: handbag, milkman, dustpan, dustbin, windmill, lipstick, and eggcup.