Cutting up a banana
- Cutting board.
- Floor mat and plastic mat - for exercise on the floor.
This can be done as a group presentation.
- Directress invites the children to the table or the floor where the materials are placed.
- Remind the children to wash their hands and sit down with their hands on their lap.
- Directress peels the banana and places the banana on the cutting board.
- The Directress then demonstrates how to cut the banana into slices.
- Invite the children to come and try.
Control Of Error
Points Of Interest
May present this exercise during snack time where the children help to prepare the snack.
- To teach the child how to use a knife.
- To develop the child's fine motor skills.
- To develop the child concentration.
- To develop the child's independence.
May have various kinds on food: carrots, tomatoes, apples, etc. The children may have fruit salad for snack later or eat fruits with yogurth.
May also introduce other forms of cutting using grater, peeler, grinder, etc.