Fractions: Substraction with same denominator
- Red fraction circles in green frames (ten circles: 1 is undivided and the others are divided into 2 -10 equal parts.
- Label with fractions written on them: 1, 1/2, 1/2, 1/3
- Pencil and paper
This is an individual presentation.
- Have the child bring over the two trays of fractions.
- Write a subtraction equation on the paper. 4/8 – 1/8 =
- Create 4/8 and place it in front of the tray.
- Directres points to 1/8 and tells the child, “I will now take away 1/8”
- Move 1/8 from the 4/8 and move it off to the side.
- Directress asks the child to count how many 8th are left. (3/8)
- Have the child write the answer.
- Repeat a few times.
Control Of Error
Points Of Interest
- To help the child gain a sensorial impression of fraction.
- To introduce the concept and notation of fractions.
- To introduce sensorial exploration of equivalency among fractions.
- To introduce simple operations.