Fundamental Needs of Humans
- A chart entitled "The Fundamental Needs of Humans"
- What kind of things does a person need?
- The discussion will probably go from food to toys.
- Imagine that you are on an island and you will not survive without a few very important things.
- What will this person need on this island that you do not need?
- Discuss human's needs and the similarities and differences of those needs through history and in different regions.
- People who lived a long time ago - and people all over the world have the same basic needs.
- Humans need to clothe themselves, nourish themselves, to defend themselves, to transport themselves, to shelter themselves, etc., but they also have spiritual needs : the arts, religion or a belief in something more powerful than yourself, and vanity, or pride and caring of self.
- Show chart.
- Continue to discuss related ways that different human groups have satisfied these needs or ways that these needs have been met through time.
- Make examples different people: the Pilgrims of Plimoth Plantation, the Native Americans in Massachusetts, the people in the South Seas, the Arctic, etc.
Control Of Error
Points Of Interest
- To have the child come to her own conclusion that needs are constant and to show the difference in a need and a want.