Multiplication - Without Changing
- Unlimited Golden Beads.
- Large Number Cards.
- At least 2 sets of Small Number Cards.
- At least 2 trays and unit pots fro carrying.
- An operational mat.
- A floor mat.
- This is a group activity.
- Directress invites the children to take the Large and Small Number Cards from the shelf and to lay out the cards on the floor mat.
- Meanwhile, Directress sets up the 'Bank' and lays out the operational mat on the table.
- The Directress gives each of the two children a tray and specifies a number to collect, e.g. 1123 (each child has the same number).
- Each child has to collect the small number cards specified and then go to the bank to collect the corresponding Golden Beads.
- They place all the beads on the tray and proceed to the operational mat.
- Then they place all the beads on the mat and place the small number cards beside it on the right.
- The two amounts are arranged one under the other, with units below units, tens below tens and so on.
- Directress then asks one of the children to start counting the beads beginning with the units.
- As each column is counted (or added together), the beads are placed together right at the bottom of the mat.
- When the units are added together and if there are more than 10, the children are reminded that they can exchange the 10 units with a Ten Bead Bar at the bank.
- This Ten Bead Bar is placed on top of the 'Ten' column, and proceeds with counting the Ten Bead Bar.
- When the child reaches a 100, he may change the 10 Ten Bead Bars into 1 Hundred Squares.
- The same goes for the Thousand cube when the child reaches 1 thousand.
- The total at the bottom is noted and the child is asked to get the corresponding large number card.
- The cards are superimposed and placed beside the beads at the bottom of the mat, i.e. a total of 2246.
- At the end of the operation tell the children they have added together 2 identical quantities, i.e. they have multiplied by 2.
Control Of Error
Points Of Interest
- To give the child concrete experiences in multiplication.