Opening and closing nuts and bolts
- Selection of 4 different sizes of nuts and bolts.
- Felt cloth.
This is an individual presentation.
- Directress shows the child how to carry the materials on a tray to the table, lay the felt cloth on the table and takes out all the nuts and bolts, one at a time, placing them in a row on the cloth.
- She then shows the child how to work with the nuts and bolts.
- Starting from left to right, the Directress holds the nut and bolt with the left hand.
- Bring the nut and bolt very near and right in front of the child, slowly unscrew the bolt anti-clockwise with the right hand almost to the end.
- Place the almost completely unscrewed nut and bolt on the felt cloth.
- Continue doing the same for the others.
- When finished with all the nuts and bolts, then we start screwing them back, turning the bolt clockwise this time, starting from left to right again.
Control Of Error
Bolts and nuts will not match if the wrong pair is chosen.
Points Of Interest
Open and close the nuts and bolts slowly, pausing at every moment.
- To teach the child how to open and close nuts and bolts.
- To develop the child's eye hand coordination.
- To develop the child's fine motor control.
- To develop the child's concentration.
- To develop the child's independence.
- To satisfy the child's need for order.
- To build their muscles for pencil grip.
- To develop discrimination of size