Presentation of the Hand Chart
Black strip of cloth 10' x 1', the last half inch is red.
- The black is to give the sensorial impression of "nothingness.".
- The scale is 100,000 years per foot.
- The hand holding the stone tool is the approximate time that humans developed tools.
- The entire length of the strip represents the time humans have been on earth (1 million years).
- The red 1/2 inch is recorded history beginning about 4,000 BC.
- Roll out the black strip.
- Say something like..."humans are now learning to walk, finding things,"...
- "WAIT!" "Something has happened. It took humans all this time to develop tools."
- "For a long time, humans continued to develop and change and after a long time, humans developed writing as represented by the small red strip."
- Follow up.
- Have discussions with the interested children on the following subjects: What does it mean to be human? How did the development of the hand influence the development of tool making and writing?
- It is not necessary for them to arrive at any specific conclusion, merely to have considered the questions.
Control Of Error
Points Of Interest