Sets of terminology cards include:
- Parts of a tree, parts of a leaf, different roots.
- An insect.
- A fish, a frog, a tortoise, a bird, a rabbit, a cow.
Example set: Outline of a fish, colored appropriately.
Six outlines of the same fish on the following:
- Picture and word cards. Each outline has a different part of the fish colored in red so as to highlight the part. The name of the part is written below each outline.
- Picture only cards. A second set of outlined pictures matching the first set, but this time without the words.
- Name cards. Only the name of the part written.
- Directress lay out the Pictures and name cards on the floor mat, pointing out and naming the highlighted parts as she does so.
- Then, she gets out the matching picture only cards for the matching exercise.
- Lastly, if the child is in the verge of reading, he may match the picture only cards first, and then add the name only cards, using visual discrimination to check that they are the same as the names on the whole cards.
Control Of Error
Visual - in the matching set.
Points Of Interest
- Awareness of different component cards of animals and plants.
- Increase the child's powers of observation.
- Introduce the child to the function of these different parts.
- Extend the child's vocabulary.
- Prepare the child for the study of Biology.