The Animal Kingdom: Classified Nomenclature of Zoology (External Features)
For each group of animals in the division of vertebrates to be considered, there is a series of materials consisting of:
- Wall chart of labeled pictures.
- Folder with pictures
- Separate reading labels
- Definition cards
- Control booklet of pictures and definitions
All of the external parts are taken into consideration for one species of the fish, amphibian, reptile, bird and mammal.
A live animal should be used for the presentation if possible. If not, a large, beautiful, but accurate poster should be used.
- The child lays out the pictures and matches the labels appropriately.
- The child knows the parts of the fish by name.
- The directress and children discuss where the fish lives and how it breathes.
- All living things, even plants need to breathe.
- Fish need to breathe, too.
- As we breathe air, the fish breathes air.
- It is a special kind of air that is dissolved in the water.
- Instead of lungs, which takes the oxygen and other gasses from the air , the gills take oxygen from the water.
- Look at the head of the fish.
- Look at its special shape for going through the water quickly.
- The lateral line lets the fish understand the movement and depth of the water around it.
- It can tell whether it is in a current or in still water.
- The pectoral and pelvic fins help the fish swim and stop when it needs to.
- They also give the fish stability.
- The dorsal fins help the fish swim and jump.
- The anal fins help it swim fast and keep its balance.
- The caudal fin helps it swim rapidly and also lets it change direction.
- Look at fish for these movements.
- Use three period lesson for this. Which fin helps it jump?, etc.
Control Of Error
Points Of Interest
- To identify and define the fundamental external parts of animals that are familiar to the child.
- To practice reading sentences.
- To organize thoughts and express them orally and written.
- The child takes the definition cards, reads them and matches them to the pictures. The definition book is used for control if necessary.
- The children can draw pictures and write the definitions.