The Long Black Strip
30 meters of ribbon:
- 29.999 m. in black
- 0.001 m. in white
- 1 centimeter = 1,000,000 years
- 10 meters represent 1,000,000,000 years
- 30 meters represents 3,000,000,000 years, the average accepted length of earth's history (in 1939). Now we know it is approximately 4.6 billion years.
- Remember the Dance of the Elements in our Creation Story?
- That was such a long, long time ago.
- Begin unrolling strip.
- In the beginning we said that everything was dark, there were whirling gasses which gradually cooled and how long this process took.
- It took thousands of years.
- And then the rains came and filled in the hollows, the air was cleared up and the seas were formed.
- Now the Earth was like a shriveled up apple.
- There was no life on Earth.
- At sometime, somewhere, a long long time ago, life began.
- It began to fill the seas and after thousands of years, it began to climb out of the water onto the land.
- Keep looking at how long it was, referring back to the strip.
- Insects developed and large dinosaurs.
- The insects have made a contract with the flowers and the earth is covered with grass.
- There are flowers in her hair... and pure water is crystal clear...
- Watch what is coming! How long it has taken!
- What is it? A white line. What does it mean?
- This is humanity - all humans.
- Hold it in your hands... this is all of history: cave people, Egyptians, Greeks... all here.
- How long it took for the earth to prepare itself.
- A long time passed, while the animals developed and the plants prepared for Humans to come to this Earth.!!
Control Of Error
Points Of Interest
- Don't give the child the measurement of the strip. The demonstration is meant to be impressionistic and to pique an emotional response.
- The colors should be opposing.
- The white dates form the first real appearance of civilization on the Indus River.