Blue Picture cards
- Blue card with six to eight pictures in two rows of three or four pictures.
- Separate reading cards to match the pictures.
Example words: strap, splint, crisp, clam, blot, stump, flex, pond or sack, lock, block, sock, clock, smock, duck, black, ... etc.
Other words to be selected from the Morris - Montessori Blue Level nouns.
This is an individual presentation to be carried out on the table (Note: full work cycle to be observed).
- The Directress takes the word cards kept in an envelope behind the card, checks to see they are not upside down and puts it neatly in a stack.
- The Directress places the picture card in front of the child and goes through each picture, naming it.
- The Directress then takes one card from the stack, places it in front of the child to read the card and to place the word card below the respective picture. Repeat for all the word cards, assisting the child when needed.
Control Of Error
The reading cards correspond to the pictures. A mismatch may reveal any mistakes.
Points Of Interest
- Practice reading longer phonic words.
- Introduce additional consonant blends, double consonants and two syllable words.
Have several boxes at this level to provide a variety of reading exercises. Longer words poise no difficulty. A picture card could include: handbag, milkman, dustpan, dustbin, windmill, lipstick, and eggcup.